When you face the federal government, it is important to get it right. The lawyers at Murphy Cooke
Kobrick bring decades of federal government experience to help make the critical difference when
professional reputations, personal liberty and financial security are at stake. Whether you need help in
responding to a SEC subpoena in an insider trading investigation, or if you find yourself the subject of
an SEC or criminal grand jury investigation of accounting fraud, we can help you. Our firm was founded
by three former SEC enforcement attorneys and through our public and private sector experience, we know
the federal government and its attorneys. We take pride in having assisted multiple individuals and
corporations successfully navigate regulatory investigations by persuading the government to not pursue
charges, and are particularly skilled at handling the complexities of “parallel proceedings,” where
civil and criminal authorities conduct simultaneous investigations. When charges cannot be avoided, we
have helped our clients achieve highly favorable settlements with government and, when such settlements
are not feasible or desirable, we have thrive at developing litigation and trial strategies that achieve
excellent results for our clients.
RECENT ENGAGEMENTS INCLUDE:
- Defending a former employee of investment adviser to venture capital fund in parallel S.E.C. and
U.S. Department of Justice investigations.
- Successfully defending a former bank executive in government investigation and lawsuit following the
collapse of a publicly held bank. We persuaded the FDIC enforcement attorneys not to bring any
regulatory action against our client and then negotiated a highly favorable settlement of the FDIC
receiver’s federal court lawsuit against our client.
- Successfully represented a venture capital fund in connection with an S.E.C. investigation into
pre-IPO securities derivatives.
- Currently representing three former officers against parallel investigation by the S.E.C., the FDIC,
and the U.S. Department of Justice concerning possible accounting fraud in connection with the
collapse of a public company.
- Successfully completed representation of a hedge fund manager in S.E.C. investigation. The matter
was closed with no charges recommended against our client.
- Successfully represented several former employees of a public company facing investigation by the
S.E.C. of accounting improprieties without any action taken against our clients.
- Successfully defended former Director of public internet marketing company against parallel S.E.C.
and U.S. Department of Justice investigation.
- Successfully defended attorney in S.E.C. insider trading investigation involving potential
misappropriation of merger information. The matter was closed by the S.E.C. with no charges
- Represented private company in criminal grand jury investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice
involving False Claims Act.
- Represented attorney in S.E.C. investigation involving allegations of violation of the Investment
Advisers Act of 1940.
- Represented CEO in grand jury investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice involving allegations
of government contractor fraud.
- Represented social media company in S.E.C. investigation regarding its pre-IPO stock transactions.
- Represented former CEO and CFO of financial company in S.E.C. investigation and Wells process
involving mortgage-backed securities.
- Successfully represented private equity firm and its chairman in an insider trading investigation by
the S.E.C. The matter was closed by the S.E.C., with no charges recommended.
- Defended financial services company in litigation with the California State Attorney General’s
Office involving False Claims Act charges for foreign currency transactions.
- Successfully represented public company in internal investigation and S.E.C. investigation relating
to inventory accounting and disclosure. The matter was closed by the S.E.C., with no charges
- Represented former executive and general counsel of computer networking company in complex financial
fraud litigation with the S.E.C.